As would be expected, the first few years were very tough. Dr. Dowdell withdrew in 1936 and the name of the firm was changed to Lockwood & Andrews. Through persistent effort, they obtained additional clients and work. Retainer arrangements were made in many cases, which placed the firm on call for plant operation problems and for additions as needed by the client. This was valuable to the client and it aided the fledgling firm by assuring a basic income.