Professional Development & Education
We seek out professionals with a commitment for lifelong learning and professional growth and we work to provide access to, and opportunities for, meaningful developmental opportunities.
Professional Growth & Credentials
LAN offers many professional, company-funded growth opportunities for employees in an array of areas, including:
- Project Engineering & Management
- Technical and Software Skills
- Career Progression
- Quality Control
- Industry Standards/Trends
- Ethics and Compliance
- Safety/Risk Management
- Supervisory Skills
- Business/Professional Communication
- PE License Application/Renewal
- Real Estate License Application/Renewal (Right-of-Way staff)
- LEED Accreditation
- Professional Certifications
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Internal Workshops/Seminars
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Council
LAN’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (ED&I) Advisory Council is composed of employees of various tenure, ages, genders, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, disabilities and more. The ED&I Council’s purpose is to exchange ideas and make firm-wide internal and external policy recommendations that promote equity, diversity and inclusion. Its mission is to drive change by celebrating the diverse human experience, implementing a culture of empathy and championing social responsibility.
The Council is made up of three groups:
- Steering Committee – drives ED&I initiatives and proposes internal and external policies or actions for LAN
- Champions – serve as local liaisons between the Steering Committee and office staff; solicits ideas and concerns about ED&I and communicates all office feedback to the Steering Committee
- General Council – any employee (who is not a member of the aforementioned groups) can offer ideas to help shape ED&I initiatives across both companies
Professional Society Membership & Participation
Most of our staff members are active participants in professional organizations such as:
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC)
- Society for Marketing of Professional Services (SMPS)
- Society of American Military Engineers (SAME)
- Women in Transportation (WTS)
LAN’s Young Professionals organization provides guidance for those interested in developing and enhancing their careers with monthly meetings, informative presentations and skills development workshops. Young Professionals is open to any LAN employee interested in leadership, career development, and professional guidance. Participation benefits include:
- PDH credits to maintain professional licenses
- Career growth and skillset training
- Social activities
- Business and skills development book club
The Leadership Institute
The Leadership Institute program specifically addresses LAN’s commitment to its staff worldwide. The competitive program aims, through a series of learning modules, to prepare talented employees for leadership roles, and to define and develop their corresponding skills and responsibilities.
Following completion of the Leadership Institute, each graduating class member is challenged to move forward under an active leadership mentoring program in their respective office, incorporating the framework of their Leadership Effectiveness Action Plan (LEAP) which they are required to develop for post-Leadership-Institute growth.
The Futures Council
Each graduating Leadership Institute class member is encouraged to join The Futures Council, an active and highly engaged team of past Leadership Institute graduates company-wide who are passionate about continuing to exercise their leadership skills while influencing LAN to be the very best we can be.
The Executive Development Program
The Executive Development Program (EDP) is a highly-customized “executive” version of the Leadership Institute. Functioning in parallel with each year’s Leadership Institute, the EDP is structured to further capitalize and expand on the leadership effectiveness of our most senior and client-facing company leaders. The Executive Development program – like its Leadership Institute companion – demonstrates LAN’s commitment to enhancing leadership effectiveness at every level of the company and growing our future leaders.