Engineering Excellence Since 1935

photos of LAN founders Mason Lockwood, William Andrews and Frank Newnam

Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc. (LAN) is a full-service consulting firm offering planning, engineering and program management services. Founded in 1935, LAN has grown from its humble beginnings as a small Houston firm to a national leader in the heavy civil infrastructure engineering industry. A division of LEO A DALY, an international architecture/engineering firm, LAN has access to the expertise of nearly 800 professionals in 31 offices across the country.

In 1935, LAN opened its doors as a small consulting engineering firm with big ambitions. After more than five decades of successful operation and impressive growth, LAN joined Leo A Daly. Over the years, our ability to attract outstanding personnel and win strategic and significant projects has enabled LAN to grow into one of the most respected engineering firms in the United States. Today, LAN is a recognized leader in the industry with a rich history of serving a diverse group of heavy civil infrastructure clients across the country.

We understand that every project presents unique challenges. We have a successful track record with traditional design-bid-build projects, as well as alternative design-build and construction-manager-at-risk project delivery methods. Our goal is to provide excellence in design and professional services, under the project delivery format that best meets our clients’ needs.



Creative Solutions, Measurable Value, and Exceptional Quality

From its humble beginnings as a small consulting firm in 1935 to its growth through the years to its current standing as a leading planning, engineering and program management firm in the United States, the journey of Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc. (LAN) has been one filled with milestones. On March 16, 2015, LAN celebrated another milestone – the firm’s 80th anniversary.

As the firm celebrates this landmark, a brief glance of its history and achievements along the way will shed some light on the journey. 

The Early Years

In 1935, with a vision of the future, Mason Graves Lockwood and William McIntosh Andrews opened a small consulting firm in Houston despite the flailing economy of the great depression. Lockwood, a 1927 graduate of the Rice Institute, now Rice University, with a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, and Andrews, a 1931 graduate of Texas A&M with a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, began retainer work with Jack Burrus of Burrus Mills, Inc. Their first two jobs were the design and construction of new grain elevators in Amarillo and Lubbock, Texas.

Although the first few years were a struggle, through persistent effort, Lockwood and Andrews obtained additional clients and work. Retainer arrangements were made in many cases, which placed the firm on call for plant operation problems and for additions as needed by the client. This was valuable to the client and it aided the fledgling firm by assuring a basic income.

In 1941, the two young engineers got their breakthrough when they were awarded a major engineering contract for the San Jacinto Ordnance Depot, a site of approximately 5,000 acres located along the north side of the Houston Ship Channel. Numerous buildings, wharves for ships and tugboats, ammunition storage, miles of concrete roads, a network of railroads, a railroad yard, shop areas for multiple trades as well as utility systems were designed and constructed quickly. This military contract catapulted the firm into major civil engineering projects, establishing it as one of the few multi-disciplined firms in the southwest.

Growth and Expansion

Contracts for additional military projects followed, forming the firm's main workload for the remaining war years. One of those projects was the design and construction of the original plant for Converted Rice, Inc. The plant was based on a process that preserved the vitamins in the rice grain, giving the product long life and resistance to deterioration, which appealed to the military services during the war.

In 1946, Frank H. Newnam, Jr., a civil engineer and a classmate of William Andrews at Texas A&M, joined the firm as a partner, further diversifying the firm’s services. With its growing capacities and abilities post-war, the list of clients grew and business boomed. The firm took on work for ports, municipalities, other government agencies, industries and institutions. Projects included several large incinerators for the City of Houston, a section of the Gulf Freeway and wharves for the Port of Houston. In 1956, the firm changed its name to Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam (LAN). The firm was incorporated in 1961. In 1966, Lockwood and Newnam initiated a plan for the orderly transfer of ownership and management.

Acquisitions, Mergers and Offices

Paralleling this growth, the firm established offices in several cities in Texas. When necessary, LAN also acquired design firms to supplement its abilities. Offices were opened in Victoria, Corpus Christi, Beaumont, Austin and San Antonio. Acquisitions included Lowery & Seale, a surveying company in Victoria, Geogram Corporation of Houston and Settles Engineering Co. in Brownsville. LAN also purchased Fowler & Grafe, Inc., a well-known consulting firm in Dallas, which later integrated into the LAN organization and became its Dallas office. In 1977, LAN merged with Houston-based architectural firm, Koetter, Tharp, Cowell & Bartlett, Inc. (KTC), representing the achievement of a long-standing goal to become a full-service professional design firm. KTC co-located as a division of LAN in 1982.

In 1991, LEO A DALY, an international planning, architecture, engineering and interior design firm, acquired LAN, which then became a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Daly organization. This enhanced LAN's ability to provide services for a wide range of projects and assignments throughout the world.

Changing Texas’ Landscape

Over the years, LAN has played a pivotal role in the rapidly changing Texas landscape, greatly improving the quality of life of its residents. In 1961, LAN combined in a joint venture called Engineers of the Southwest with two other Houston engineering firms for the master planning and complete design of the Houston Intercontinental Airport. LAN furnished the managing partner and project manager for the project. This arrangement continued over twenty years with the phased growth of the airport.

In 1964, the firm provided the excavation and sub-drainage, electrical design (including the $2 million scoreboard), and the plans and specifications for the Astrodome, Houston’s unique domed stadium. LAN's design and construction of Houston's Astrodome set new standards for stadium design. The firm also designed segments of the Sam Houston Parkway and Hardy Toll Road.

Currently, LAN is serving as program manager for two of the largest projects in Houston: Phase 1 of the Bayport Container Terminal developed by the Port of Houston Authority and the Southeast Corridor Light Rail Transit (LRT) Expansion Program for Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County (METRO).

LAN has had a considerable impact on other Texas cities as well. In 2001, Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) selected LAN as the general engineering consultant for the 25-mile build-out of its LRT system. The firm was also responsible for the design of a segment of the reconstruction and expansion of the North Central Expressway. In San Antonio, the firm provided the design for the Alamo Plaza improvements and construction management for the Downtown tri-party improvements. In Austin, the Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority contracted LAN as program management support consultant for the implementation of projects under the All Systems Go Long-Range Transit Plan.

The firm has also completed masterplans and facilities improvements for universities throughout the state, including Rice University, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Texas A&M University, Texas State University, Texas Christian University, Lamar University, Texas Southern University and University of Houston.

Developing Texas' Infrastructure

Another hallmark of LAN is its water and wastewater infrastructure expertise and experience. As far back as the mid 1940's, the company had worked on the Harris Reservoir project, which included adding reservoirs, pump stations and large water supply lines from river sources to the ship channel and other industries, and product lines between distant industrial plants. A major 1950's project was the intake structure and main pumping station at Lake Houston with 12 miles of concrete lined canal from the pumping station to the City's treatment plant.

In 1979, the firm carried out the Sanitary Sewer System Evaluation Survey and the San Antonio Wastewater Improvement Program. Eight years later, LAN was selected as program manager for the City of Houston's $200 million Surface Water Transmission Program. LAN's role in this project proved instrumental in converting the City from a predominately groundwater supply system to an 80 percent surface water supply system.

Other noteworthy projects that the firm has worked on include the 69th street Wastewater Treatment Plant that serves a large section of Houston, the Sims Bayou Wastewater Treatment Plant Expansions, the Texas City Wastewater Treatment Plant and the Southside Dewatering and Disposal Facilities in Dallas.

Becoming a National Firm

In the last 20 years, LAN's successful track record and long history of excellence enabled the firm to win projects throughout the country. Significant projects included serving as part of the design team for the major renovation and expansion of Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego, California, for Super Bowl XXXII, providing professional design services for a new 72-inch raw water main in Miami-Dade County, Florida, providing architectural and engineering management for the light rail system servicing the cities of Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa, Arizona, as well as providing professional engineering services for the new light rail transit system in Sacramento, California and the Lake Huron water intake project for Karegnondi Water Authority in Michigan.

Today, LAN is a national engineering firm with more than 1000 active projects nationwide. It has established 20 offices throughout the country. Its wide-ranging portfolio of projects encompasses many markets, including airports & aviation, education, ports & marine, rail & transit, roadways & bridges, stormwater & drainage, wastewater & reuse, and water supply & transmission

With 87 percent of business coming from repeat clients, its dedication to long-term client satisfaction, and ability to produce high-quality work in a timely and cost-effective manner, LAN is poised to achieve many more milestones in the years ahead.